President of Council Kathy McNear called Council to order on March 1, 2006 at 7:00 p.m.

 

            The governmental body and those in attendance recited the pledge of allegiance.

 

            Mr. Knox took roll call.  Present were Council members Danbury, Pollitt, Squires, Vanover, Wilson and McNear.   Mr. Galster was absent.

 

            The minutes of February 15, 2006 were approved with six affirmative votes.

 

            COMMUNICATIONS                                                               -           none

 

            COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE                        -          none

 

      ORDINANCES AND RESOLUTIONS

ORDINANCE NO. 16-2006 “AUTHORIZING THE MAYOR AND CLERK OF COUNCIL/FINANCE DIRECTOR TO ENTER INTO A CONTRACT WITH CDS ASSOCIATES, INC., TO PROCEED WITH DESIGN SERVICES FOR THE REPAVING OF S.R. 4, AS PART OF THE ODOT URBAN PAVING PROGRAM, AT GLENSPRINGS TO 800’ SOUTH OF CRESCENTVILLE ROAD, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY”

 

Mr. Vanover made a motion to adopt and Mr. Wilson seconded.

 

Mr. Osborn said this project is intended to follow right behind the reconstruction and improvements to the Crescentville/Springfield Pike intersection and the addition of the second southbound lane dedicated exclusively to access onto I-275.  This will pave over the remaining portion of the lanes not covered by that lane addition or by the intersection project.  The project cost is estimated at $566,759.  Of that the ODOT urban paving program will pay $249,504.  This is the only percentage that they will pay because they limit their involvement to just the resurfacing. If there is any full-depth repair or any other repairs needed, that falls back on the City.  So in order to cover the necessary full-depth repairs and other improvements not funded by ODOT, we will have to absorb those costs.  In addition, the City is responsible for 100 percent of the $47,900 in engineering costs.  Design will start immediately after authorization by Council this evening and should be completed by August 1, 2006.  That’s just when the tracings will be completed by our Engineer’s office.  At that point those plans will be forwarded to ODOT and will have to go through their bidding and scheduling process.  The starting time has been targeted for 2007.

 

Ordinance 16-2006 passed with six affirmative votes.

 

ORDINANCE NO. 17-2006 “AMENDING ZONING CODE SECTIONS 153.052, 153.067, 153.082, 153.097, 153. 112, 153.127, 153.142, 153.072, 153.269, 153.492, 153.502, 153.504, 153.608, OF THE CODIFIED ORDINANCES OF THE CITY OF SPRINGDALE AFFECTING VARIOUS TEXT, INCLUDING ACCESSORY STRUCTURES AND USES, AND PARKING”

First reading.

 

Mr. Osborn said there is a summary of the changes made by Mr. McErlane as well as the strike-out changes that were attached to the legislative update that came up before the December 21st Council meeting.  They are available if anyone would like or need a copy.

 

Ms. Pollitt stated Roy Mitchell would like to serve on the Tax Review Board again.  He has been on the board for eight or nine years.  He is a CPA and when there is a case before us he makes sure everyone knows what the law is on that case.

 

Mr. Mitchell was nominated.

 

RESOLUTION R4-2006 “APPOINTING ROY MITCHELL AS A MEMBER OF THE TAX REVIEW BOARD”

 

Mr. Squires made a motion to adopt and Mr. Wilson seconded.

 

Resolution R4-2006 passed with six affirmative votes.

 

OLD BUSINESS

 

Mr. Osborn said we had the first meeting with what has become the bicentennial committee.  We tried to recruit some folks from within the residential community.  Most families have both parents working and not much free time.  We wanted to go into the business community.   At the top of the list was Maple Knoll Village.  I contacted Alan Bayoski and proposed the idea to him.  He was very enthusiastic about forming a committee of their senior staff to help us plan this bicentennial.  Today the Mayor and I met with Alan Bayoski, Rose Denman and Becky Shulte.  We found them to be very enthusiastic and creative with what we might be able to do.  One of the ideas we had talked about previously was publishing the history.  Dave Butsch is working with Joan Knox of the Garden Club on the potential for the development and sale of large planters that will be distributed around the community, hopefully by sponsors, with artwork contributing some fact of our history or reflecting the history of the business or school that picked it up.  The Garden Club, through Joan, has also proposed doing a special planting, perhaps at the main entrance of the Community Center.

 

Mr. Osborn continued we talked about a social event such as a picnic or ice cream social for the whole community.   Other thoughts we developed today are a quilt show and a display of old farming equipment.   The Senior Citizens’ Group has proposed to do a cookbook of old family recipes.   Other things we have talked about are a parade, Cincinnati Pops concert, community-wide scavenger hunt, photo or art display contest, tours of unique facilities, Taste of Springdale, Big Band event, and Oyster Festival.  Our community was initially settled by families from New Jersey by families who moved here right after the Revolutionary War.  One tradition they missed from their days on the east coast was an oyster festival.  They would have raw oysters shipped down and have a festival.  We thought we would try to tie that in with some other event we might have. 

 

Mr. Osborn said other suggestions are a karaoke contest, car show, something for a Guinness record, seminar with nationally known speaker, poetry contest with the City’s history as the theme.  There are other possible opportunities.  Some will fall out just because we don’t have time to organize them or we have to choose what we have the ability to do. 

 

Mr. Danbury said the minister of my church would be interested.  Others might see if their churches would want to get involved so the City doesn’t have to absorb everything and the church will get exposure.

 

Mr. Osborn said we have $25,000 to accomplish all this.  Many of the ideas will be low-cost but we are hoping to get businesses and organizations to organize and/sponsor the more costly events. 

 

Ms. Pollitt said I’m sure The First Baptist Church would be willing to donate their grounds or be willing to help organize something.

 

            NEW BUSINESS

 

            Mr. Osborn said after I reported on our training for CPR and AED, Mr. Danbury asked me if it would be available for the public.  We rely on the Red Cross to do the training for the public and they do CPR training every other week at the Community Center.  I don’t know if they will be adding the AED training though.  We would like to offer the elected officials the opportunity to participate in the City training.  We still have openings on our schedule.  If you would like the training let me know, and we will work you in.

           

            MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

 

            Board of Health                                                           -           March 9

            Planning Commission                                                            -           March 14

            Board of Zoning Appeals                                             -           March 21

            Opening Day (Youth Boosters)                                  -           April 29

 

COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE AUDIENCE            -           none

 

UPDATE ON LEGISLATION STILL IN DEVELOPMENT      

Ordinance 17                                                              -           March 15

 

RECAP OF LEGISLATIVE ITEMS REQUESTED      -           none

 

Council adjourned at 7:26p.m.

 

                                                                        Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

 

                                                                        Edward  F. Knox

                                                                        Clerk of Council/Finance Director

 

Minutes Approved:

 

Kathy McNear, President of Council

 

 

 

__________________________, 2006